Thursday, May 26, 2011

Cream of the Crop

Marissa, Emma, Maria
Calling all glamorous racegoers! I’ve heard about The Burdekin Grower Race Day and have no idea why I haven’t stepped out to this fantastic event before? When asked to be a judge of Fashions on the Field, it was a perfect excuse to have peek at what fashions were on offer. The Burdekin Grower Race Day is about making a Far North Queensland fashion statement while toasting Queensland’s finest locally grown produce (oh and there’s horse racing too). The fashion stakes run even higher with their massive prize pool (I have personally never seen so many sponsors and give aways) it puts Townsville Cup to shame....honestly

Pam Mann and partner
It’s a 1 hour trip so driving out at the speed of light trying to make the 12pm deadline for competitors (and I’m a judge!) was a panic! The buses were late so I’m glad I chose the ‘road trip’. So some girls didn’t make  sign up which was a shame but in saying that we looked at hundreds of fabulous outfits so we were spoilt for choice!
My meeting of Pam Mann one of the charismatic organises of the event was brief; this was going to set the pace for the day- intensely busy. Thankfully I was in excellent company with Maria Selwood of Vintage Rose Boutique and Marissa Gusmeroli from Shoedini. Our time together was mixed with sporadic fits of laughter and shock, tiresome waiting for missing finalists and excessive waves of awe-inspiring fashionistas. With gorgeous chocolates, gourmet sandwiches and much needed hits of champagne and Pasito soft drink helped make judging more streamline.
Weather conditions can play a huge roll in how content and wardrobe malfunction free your day is going to be.  Fashionistas worst nightmare.... wind! Thanks to the space constraints of my Toyota Echo I had to attach my fascinator at the event (never again). The result was a hysterical red bird ripping at my scalp trying to escape. This did not help with negotiating consistent pot holes, managing  a fascinator without destroying manicured hair and all while trying to look like a delicate petal who had done this a million times before. Lucky the fashion tent served as a welcome reprieve - red bird in check!

Burdekin Growers is a 3000 strong event, gone are the days where black was considered safe with Tropical North Queensland being a touch more relaxed with colour splashed everywhere! Note to girls that want to win Fashions on the Field Classic Race Wear, STOCKINGS ARE A MUST! Your chest can’t be exposed e.g. Like mine but I’m a judge I’m not competing. You can’t have your skirt so short that you have two hands holding it down for modesty and gloves are pretty important, its autumn/winter- wear closed in shoes but if you plan on entering the Innovative category it’s a little more lenient.

Innovative winners





Best Dressed Couple
Best Hat







For me it was my first judging role in Race Fashion and boy what a learning curve! I loved my responsibility and will never forget the experience. My challenge now is to win a fashions on the field. I have come close with 3rd and 2nd places but it’s time to step it up try for the 1st place. The competition will be fierce but I have my sketching book out and hatching plans for designing a winner. Look out Townsville Cup!

Classic Race Wear Winner

Thank you to my fellow judges Marissa and Maria, Lisa Todeschino who was the fabulous MC and the wonderful Jaclyn McDonald of Show Poni creating my gorgeous head piece. What a day!!
All these gorgeous photos were taken by Hayley Delaney of H. D Photography. Thank you Hayley for making my blog look so beautiful!  Hayley is one talented young lady please contact her for more information
Babies/Kids, Couples or Single Shoot - $60
Family Shoots - $70
Standard Parties - $80
Can also do Deb's, Wedding's, Parties, Friend Shoots & many more.
You receive all photo's on Disc including edit's & collages that I do.
Email: hal228@bigpond.com Phone 0437928308


6 comments:

  1. Wow! nth qld has surprised me very impressed. Love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed yourself Emma!! See you there next year! ;-)
    PS I LOVE your blog too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog and LOVE your outfit!
    Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous
    This is an old Cue design. But you can jump online or come in store and check out what other race day items we have:) www.petticoatlane.com.au 4/224 Flinders Street

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I just think your outfit is stunning!!!! Have you got the style number for it at all?
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi
    Its an old Cue suit the only number I could find on the tag was C4964
    I hope that helps:)
    Kind Regards
    Emma

    ReplyDelete